These adorable appetizer ball bites are made with milk kefir cheese.
The cheese is pressed and rolled in herbs of your choice. They are colourful, creamy, and easy to customize, depending on what’s in your fridge.
Serve them as an appetizer with crackers and a sparkling kombucha!
Makes about 12 ball bites.
Trio of Kefir Cheese Ball Appetizers Recipe
- 1 cup firm plain kefir cheese
- Salt and pepper to tast
For the sesame kefir cheese balls
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
For the Herbes de Provence kefir cheese balls
- ¼ cup herbes de Provence
For the cranberry and nut kefir cheese balls
- 2 tablespoons finely minced dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Season the kefir cheese with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Arrange the toppings on three different plates.
- Form 12 ball bites of approximately 1 teaspoon with the cheese.
- Roll four balls in each filling.
- Refrigerate an hour or two before serving.
Check out this article on how to make cheese from milk kefir. The kefir cheese must be firm, therefore well strained and pressed.
Serve with crackers at your next cocktail party with friends, and say in a detached tone that yes, you’re the one who prepared these little delights.
Will keep in the fridge for about a week. To keep the cheese balls longer, cover with olive oil in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
The balls retain their creaminess but will refine and gain in flavour over time.
Want to explore other kefir cheese recipes?