Dive into the fabulous world of mead with this recipe for a fermented alcoholic drink made with spices, honey, and maple syrup! A real delight and so easy to make.
Mead has been brewed since ancient times. Its most basic version contains two ingredients: honey and water.
The wild yeast contained in the honey transform the sugar into alcohol. In this mead recipe, we preferred using champagne yeast to obtain a more reliable result.
The world of mead is vast, and there are many variations of the basic recipe. For example, mead made with maple syrup is called “acerglyn”, and “melomel” when it is made with fruit. Here, we have created a tasty blend of the two!
This mead brings together the soothing flavours of cinnamon, cloves, orange, and the delicate taste of maple syrup and honey. After 1 month of fermentation, it will have about 5% alcohol.
Maple Mead with Spices Recipe
- 1 cup honey
- 1 can maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 orange (washed, and cut into thin slices)
- ¼ packet champagne yeast
- 12 cups water
- Clean and sanitize equipment and work surface.
- In a saucepan, combine the cinnamon, cloves, raisins, maple syrup, and honey. Heat on low and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add about 1L of water. Mix well.
- Using the funnel, pour the contents of the saucepan into the carboy. Add the orange slices.
- Cover with cold water up to 5 cm from the edge of the carboy.
- In a small bowl, rehydrate the champagne yeast in ¼ cup of warm water, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Add the rehydrated yeast to the carboy.
- Close with the pierced top and airlock. Fill the airlock with water to the fill line.
- Ferment for 4 weeks at room temperature, or until the airlock no longer produces bubbles.
- Bottle in pressure resistant bottles.
Drink it on any occasion, but especially when camping, around a wood fire, or disguised as a Gaul.